INOVYN is at the forefront of developing, marketing and licensing leading technologies for the chlorvinyls industry. INOVYN organises its technologies activities into two distinct areas – Electrochemical Technology and Vinyls Technologies.
With BICHLOR™, INOVYN has effectively re-engineered familiar bipolar principles. This unique construction has resulted in a new generation of state-of-the-art technology with low power consumption; long component lifetimes; improved production quality; and enhanced safety performance.
BICHLOR™ is a modular electrolyser comprising a series of discrete modules consisting of anode, membrane and cathode. Any sealed individual module can be removed from the electrolyser without affecting the others. The design allows for maintenance work on the individual modules in workshop controlled conditions, rather than in the main cellroom, as required in the electrolyser filter press design. This modular design has a major influence in minimising plant down time.
In addition to BICHLOR™, INOVYN continues to offer its easy to operate FM1500™ monopolar electrolyser, based on continuous developments in the design of the original FM21™ electrolyser. These low cost, yet extremely versatile electrolysers are used in over 45 plants worldwide with a chlorine production capacity in excess of 1 million tonnes per year.
Due to its design and flexible nature the FM1500™ membrane electrolyser is ideally suited to polysilicone production and small sodium hypochlorite plants in the range 1 to 10 tonnes per day of chlorine. It has the capacity to be skid-mounted and shipped anywhere in the world.
The FM1500™ is easy to install into an existing plant and if required has the flexibility to be expanded to cope with increased production needs.
Individual electrodes and membranes can be easily and quickly removed and replaced, thereby optimising maintenance downtime. Electrodes can be recoated without the need to replace the metal substrates.
INOVYN’s membrane electrolysers are suitable for converting either mercury or diaphragm cellrooms to membrane technology. The BICHLOR™ and FM1500™ electrolysers are ideal for the conversion of mercury based cellrooms, as they are designed for all sizes of production capacity.
FM1500™ electrolysers are ideal for converting chlor-alkali diaphragm plants to membrane technology.
Manufactured in its modern electrode coatings plants, INOVYN offers a range of world leading proprietary titanium and nickel anode and cathode coatings under the brand name CHLORCOAT™ to satisfy the demands of today's chlor-alkali industry. CHLORCOAT™ coatings are available for membrane, mercury and diaphragm cells.
INOVYN also offers a range of CHLORCOAT™coatings for non chlor-alkali applications and has the capability and skills to refurbish and repair used titanium, nickel and stainless steel electrodes.
We offer technical service and unparalleled technical support within the chlor-alkali industry.
INOVYN is committed to the long-term support of its worldwide licensees and catalyst customers. In addition to our support and technology transfer services during the design, engineering, construction and commissioning of licensed plants, INOVYN offers an on-going technical programme for the lifetime of the plant. These programmes are designed to meet the diverse and evolving needs of licensees as world class producers.
The tailored technical service programmes are dependent upon the technology platform and the needs of the licence.
They encompass areas including:
- safety best practice, improvements and information
- trouble shooting assistance
- plant performance benchmarking
- cost, performance and quality optimisation programmes
- operations and maintenance training
- process simulator packages
- advanced control packages and updates
- analytical training and support
- engineering and project support
- technology upgrades and developments
- customer specific product development programmes, leveraging INOVYN's extensive R&D capabilities and technology portfolio
- technology partnerships
INOVYN brings this technical service to its customers in a way tailored to client needs. These meetings offer the opportunity to discuss licensee’s plant performance and suggestions for improvement; discuss licensee’s questions with INOVYN's team of process and catalyst experts; and review health, safety and environmental best practices.
This typically includes visits to the customer’s plant, backed up by remote communication. In some cases, meetings are arranged to bring together customers facing similar issues with similar technologies – these meetings allow the sharing of best practice as well as an opportunity to learn of the latest developments offered by INOVYN.
Technical Service is provided to customers through a highly experienced and well trained team. These professionals include chemical engineers and scientists with a deep knowledge of their technology and the associated products.
Technical service is also available to customers buying catalysts, additives or components from INOVYN for use on other technologies.
INOVYN couples innovative products with high-quality performance, and offers an extensive range of EDC oxychlorination catalysts that are the number one choice of customers worldwide.
- Oxychlorination Fixed-Bed Catalysts (IVOC-P series)
- Oxychlorination Fixed-Bed Diluents (IVOD series)
- Oxychlorination Fluid-Bed Catalysts (IVOC-FB and GM series).
INOVYN has committed valuable research effort to design and develop high performance catalysts for both fixed-bed and fluid-bed processes. Tried and tested, the catalysts have been validated through laboratory and pilot plant testing with full proven implementation over many years on INOVYN production units and are currently in use worldwide.
Its engineers and scientists have practical experience and in-depth knowledge of a wide range of oxychlorination processes and catalysts. Drawing on extensive R&D know-how and facilities, including fixed and fluid bed pilot plants, the performance of the catalysts goes through a rigorous testing programme. This comprehensive process ensures that the products deliver performance characteristics that are recognised by the industry as 'best-in-class'.
INOVYN has the knowledge to provide the most suitable high quality fixed-bed or fluid-bed oxychlorination catalyst to our customers, supported by vast experience in fixed-bed technology and fluid-bed technology.
For more information, please contact:
EDC CATALYSTS - IVOC BRAND
IVOC-FB1 and IVOC-FB2
IVOC-FB1 and IVOC-FB2 are a first-generation series of promoted copper catalysts on alumina support. They are suited for the ethylene oxychlorination in fluid bed reactors operating with air or oxygen and are applicable to oxychlorination technologies licensed by OxyVinyls, Vinnolit and Arkema. Their specific composition assures as main advantages: high selectivity to EDC, high activities and stable oxychlorination reaction in the whole range of operating conditions. They have been proved in the different technologies since 1999. They can operate in the whole range of temperatures typical of fluid bed processes (from 210° to 255°C).
IVOC-FB4* is a second-generation of fluid bed catalyst and is suited for the ethylene oxychlorination in fluid bed reactors operating with air or oxygen and are applicable to oxychlorination technologies licensed by OxyVinyls, Vinnolit and Arkema. IVOC-FB4* provides improved efficiency and higher stability at the different operating conditions. At standard capacity, a saving in ethylene and caustic consumption can be achieved due to very high reactant conversions. The higher activity can also allow an increase in the production rate. IVOC-FB4* can operate in the normal range of fluid bed processes (from 220 to 260°C) and it offers excellent fluid-dynamic behaviour even at severe conditions. IVOC-FB4* has been proved in the different oxychlorination technologies since 2006.
The GM are a series of promoted copper catalysts on alumina support. The GM5824 is ideally suited to ethylene oxychlorination in fluid bed reactors operating with oxygen and are specifically designed for technologies operating in temperatures above 245°C (in particular Solvay heritage technology). Their specific compositions are tailor-made to achieve high EDC productivity at elevated temperature conditions whilst ensuring high selectivity to EDC, high activities and stable oxychlorination reaction. The very high reactant conversion allows a saving in ethylene and caustic.
IVOC-P1D and IVOC-P1DT
INOVYN has built extensive technical know-how in the field of fixed-bed oxychlorination process and catalysts; and is licensor of the fixed-bed oxychlorination technology worldwide. All IVOC-P catalysts assure a low pressure drop across the reactors to provide an increase to the life of the catalysts and/or operate the oxychlorination plants at high capacity. The IVOC-P1D catalyst (for the 3-stage air and oxygen oxychlorination technologies) and the IVOC-P1DT catalyst (specially developed for the newest 2-stage oxychlorination technology) give an exceptional long catalyst life with a slower pressure drop increase, combined with an excellent reaction performance.
IVOC-P2, IVOC-P2T and IVOC-P2D
All IVOC-P catalysts assure a low-pressure drop across the reactors to provide an increase to the life of the catalysts and/or operate the oxychlorination plants at high capacity. The IVOC-P2 catalyst (for the 3-stage air and oxygen oxychlorination technologies) and the IVOC-P2T catalyst (specially developed for the newest 2-stage oxychlorination technology) give a higher activity, slower deactivation phenomena, longer life and an excellent selectivity and yield to EDC. The latest product is IVOC-P2D and this will be loaded industrially in 2020.
IVOC-P3, IVOC-P3T and IVOC-P3P
All IVOC-P catalysts assure a low-pressure drop across the reactors to provide an increase to the life of the catalysts and/or operate the oxychlorination plants at high capacity. The technical improvements for the IVOC-P3 and IVOC-P3P catalyst types (for the 3-stage air and oxygen oxychlorination technologies) and IVOC-P3T (for the newest 2-stage oxychlorination technology) give a high activity, which results in a very high HCl conversion, combined with a good selectivity (lower combustion and by-products formation) that contributes to a high ethylene yield to EDC. The latest product is IVOC-P3P and it has been used industrially since 2016 with excellent results.
The fixed-bed diluent IVOD-1 is an integral part of our fixed-bed product range. This high-quality graphite diluent is used to ensure the optimal loading pattern in the fixed-bed reactor system – in single-stage or multi-stage reactors.
The optimised shape of the IVOD-2F allows the plant to achieve very high capacity at the lowest pressure drop and is used in both 2-stage or 3-stage reactor systems. This latest graphite diluent has been used in the first and second reactors industrially since 2014 with excellent results.
INOVYN PVC additives are a comprehensive range of products for use in the industrial production of suspension and emulsion PVC.
The PVC additive product range includes:
- EVICAS Build-up Suppressants (coating agents; anti-fouling agents): a world-famous EVICAS range of products used to prevent polymer build-up in reactors and condensers of all the different PVC homopolymer, copolymers and paste/emulsion manufacturing processes.
EVICAS will reduce the frequency of reactor cleaning, increase polymer productivity and enhance the environmental performance of the site. It is particularly effective in polymerisations containing vinyl chloride, where fouling can be critical. It can also be used in other polymerisations, e.g. during the production of styrenics, acrylates or acetate copolymers in either suspension or emulsion processes.
- INOVOL Suspending Agents (dispersing agents; granulating agents): used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC to determine particle size, size distribution and other morphological parameters such as porosity
- INOVOL Antifoam (de-foamer): used to reduce foaming that may occur during the de-gassing of slurry inside the reactor; during high-pressure discharge of slurry from a reactor; or during the high temperature stripping of PVC slurry
- INOVOL Anti-swelling Agent (reflux condenser antifoam): used to reduce foaming or swelling that may occur during the PVC reaction in reactors using reflux condensers
- INOVOL Inhibitor (recovered monomer stabiliser): used to inhibit polymerisation in the VC recovery system, preventing build-up in the system and inhibiting the formation of unwanted vinyl chloride polyperoxides
- INOVOL Antioxidant: used to improve PVC colour and thermal stability.
These products have been extensively evaluated and implemented on INOVYN's own PVC plants, which cover a broad range of different technologies routinely producing over two million tonnes of PVC each year. Customers can be assured that the products are of consistent quality and well-proven. Production is supported by R&D & Technical Service teams that have been at the forefront of many of the technical innovations developed over the past 70 years.
INOVYN designs its PVC additives for meeting the demanding process requirements of high and efficient output, low cost, and low environmental impact demanded in today’s global PVC market.
For more information, please contact:
PVC ADDITIVES - EVICAS BRAND
Our world-famous EVICAS range of products are used to prevent polymer build-up in reactors and condensers of all the different PVC homopolymer, copolymers and paste/emulsion manufacturing processes since 1981.
EVICAS 90CS has no adverse effect on PVC properties when applied evenly and without excess and can be used for emulsion and copolymer as well as for suspension PVC or other free radical processes. Fully compatible with all EVICAS products. EVICAS 90CS helps to prevent PVC build-up in troublesome areas e.g. agitator blades, agitator shaft, internal baffles and condenser tubes. Just a few kgs (or less) of EVICAS 90CS needs to be applied during the manual clean. Allows prolonged operation of a reactor, usually for a closed process, before manual cleaning of the reactor is required. Reduces reactor downtime and allows increased PVC productivity per annum. Maximises reactor heat transfer by minimising the build-up of polymer. Can aid fish eye reduction and lowers foreign matter.
EVICAS 90H and EVICAS 90
Main advantages are:
- extended reactor operation (on some reactors for 2000+ batches without cleaning);
- increased production capacity (due to decreased time for cleaning);
- maximum reactor heat transfer as build-up is minimised;
- safety and environmental improvements as reduced necessity for opening the reactor decreases the potential for a VCM release and minimises employee exposure to VCM; and
- by reducing lumps and polymer build-up, consistent high-quality PVC is produced.
Main advantages of EVICAS CN4 are:
- improved antifouling performance leading to extended reactor operation: the build-up becomes easier to remove because it is more friable
- EVICAS CN4 is applicable to all types of reactors and reflux condensers.
- Product Quality: EVICAS CN4 shows an improvement of up to 20% in the colour of the PVC powder. EVICAS CN4 reduces the possibilities of dark specs in case of non-optimum antifouling application system (e.g. when too much antifouling agent is added or when the product is applied in a highly non-uniform layer).
EVICAS XL and EVICAS XLB
The latest products are EVICAS XL and EVICAS XLB and these can be applied to any reactor and condenser technology.
Based on the heritage of EVICAS 90H and EVICAS CN4, the main feature of EVICAS XL and EVICAS XLB is the ability to adhere very strongly to the reactor internals, eliminating the need of applying the antifouling agent prior to every batch. Furthermore, the increased adhesion reduces the impact of the antifouling agent to the colour and reduces the likelihood of darks specks coming from the antifouling system in case of a non-idealised application.
Antifoam or de-foamer: used to reduce foaming that may occur during the de-gassing of slurry inside the reactor, during high-pressure discharge of slurry from a reactor or during the high temperature stripping of PVC slurry or during additive make-up. Minimises carry-over of PVC during stripping or de-gassing. No adverse effect on polymer properties and perfectly suited to suspension PVC.
Reflux condenser antifoam: used to reduce foaming or swelling that may occur during the PVC reaction in reactors using reflux condensers. Helps to allow an increased monomer charging ratio. Helps to avoid carry-over from the reactor condenser and fouling in the condenser.
Patented non-PVA based secondary suspending agent used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, mainly to determine morphological parameters such as porosity.
Main advantages are:
- very tight PVC particle size distribution;
- improved PVC powder flow;
- improved internal morphology of the PVC resin leading to faster VCM desorption kinetics and significantly lower residual VCM content in the polymer;
- quick absorption of processing additives;
- very efficient to achieve high porosities even at high temperature;
- less foaming both in-reactor (with good advantages for condenser operation) and during stripping;
- highly efficient secondary reduced consumption for same porosity target;
- improved melt colour of the polymer;
- strong reduction/elimination fisheyes/dispersion problems;
- good hot water charge granulation stability.
Recovered monomer stabiliser: used to inhibit polymerisation in the VC recovery system, preventing build-up in the system and inhibiting the formation of unwanted vinyl chloride polyperoxides. It can be used in recovery plants of emulsion, copolymer, mass and suspension PVC.
80% hydrolysed primary PVA dispersing agent, granulating agent: used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, to determine mainly particle size and size distribution and to ensure suspension stability.
Main advantages are:
- stable and robust recipes across the entire grade range;
- condenser compatible even at high reflux rate;
- compatible with other primaries and secondary suspending agents.
Our operating experience with this product is on a range of technologies, reactor types and recipes.
72% hydrolysed primary PVC dispersing agent, granulating agent: used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, to determine mainly particle size and size distribution and to ensure suspension stability. A primary suspending agent developed to optimize size control during PVC polymerisation also when subjected to very demanding high productivity conditions: high monomer/water ratios; high condenser heat removal; and direct steam injection heat up. The product works well in combination with Inovol SA5 in low K value PVC grades.
88% hydrolysed primary PVA dispersing agent, granulating agent: used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, to determine mainly particle size and size distribution and to ensure suspension stability.
Main advantages are:
- gives additional colloid stability to the recipe;
- suitable for high bulk-density polymers;
- in combination with INOVOL SA5 it improves the size distribution spread;
- minimises coarse and fine fraction;
- improves the long term heat stability in Ba/Zn or Ca/Zn formulations.
55% hydrolysed secondary PVA used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, mainly to determine morphological parameters such as porosity.
Main advantages are:
- high bulk density versus other secondaries on rigid grades;
- low coarse and fine fractions;
- low foam - suitable for condenser;
- very high consistency.
57 - 60% hydrolysed secondary PVA used in the suspension polymerisation of PVC, mainly to determine morphological parameters such as porosity.
Main advantages are:
- very good internal homogeneity of the PVC;
- very good strippability of the resin for high-temperature polymerisations resulting in low residual VCM;
- low coarse and fine fractions;
- suitable also for copolymers;
- the product has a high cloud point.
- a water-based multipurpose antioxidant formulation with improved storage stability;
- effectively stops polymerisation whilst ensuring good PVC colour and thermal stability;
- leads to excellent brightness of the PVC resin.