- Several construction and renovation projects set for completion later this year in the Netherlands use window frames based on BIOVYNTM, bio-attributed PVC.
- The use of BIOVYNTM for these projects considerably reduces the carbon footprint of house construction and renovation.
- “BIOVYNTM has enormous potential for various industries and we’re delighted to see it used more and more in the construction sector”, says Inna Jeschke, Business Unit Manager Polymers of INEOS Inovyn.
Bio-attributed PVC is making its way in the construction sector. This year, window profile producer Kömmerling will use INEOS Inovyn’s BIOVYNTM – the world’s first commercial PVC made of renewable feedstock – in renovation and new construction projects across the Netherlands.
The first installations are expected in June 2023. The first project, will renovate 19 houses to turn them into net-zero-energy social housings. It will be the first construction project in the world to use certified bio-attributed PVC window frames.
“BIOVYNTM’s unique properties have spoken to yet another sector where more sustainable solutions are required to reduce CO2 emissions,” Inna Jeschke, Business Unit Manager Polymers, explains. “Our product is already trusted by some of the world’s most famous consumer brands, and we are very proud to count Kömmerling amongst them.”
INEOS Inovyn’s BIOVYNTM brings a carbon footprint reduction of over 90% compared to traditional PVC without compromising on quality and performance.
“We are proud of this project. It is a first in the industry and we consider it an important step in the development of sustainable building materials. This innovation already saves around 6,000 kilograms of CO2 in the first project,” says Jelmer Bijlsma, Manager for Sustainability and Innovation at Kömmerling NL.
(*) A Zero-Energy Building (ZEB), also known as a Net Zero-Energy (NZE) building, is a building with net zero energy consumption, meaning the total amount of energy used by the building on an annual basis is equal to the amount of renewable energy created on the site(1)(2) or in other definitions by renewable energy sources offsite, using technology such as heat pumps, high efficiency windows and insulation, and solar panels.(3)
(1) "Zero Energy Buildings: A Critical Look at the Definition Paul Torcellini, Shanti Pless, Michael Deru National Renewable Energy Laboratory; Drury Crawley, U.S. Department of Energy. June, 2006
(2) "A Common Definition for Zero Energy Buildings" (PDF). US Department of Energy. September 2015.
(3) "Net-Zero Energy Buildings: A Classification System Based on Renewable Energy Supply Options." Shanti Pless and Paul Torcellini. National Renewable Energy Laboratory report. June 2010"
About INEOS Inovyn
INEOS Inovyn is Europe's leading producer of vinyls and in the top three worldwide. With an annual turnover of €5.1 billion, INEOS Inovyn has circa 4,300 employees and manufacturing, sales and marketing operations in 8 countries across Europe.
INEOS Inovyn’s portfolio consists of an extensive range of class-leading products arranged across General Purpose Vinyls; Specialty Vinyls; Organic Chlorine Derivatives; Chlor Alkali; Hydrogen and Performance Chemicals. INEOS Inovyn's annual commercial production volume is circa 10 million tonnes.
See www.inovyn.com and www.ineos.com for more details.
We are INEOS | INEOS Group
INEOS is one of the world’s largest chemical producers and a significant player in the oil and gas market. Learn more about who we are, today.
Kömmerling has 125 years of experience and is considered a premium window brand. The name stands for quality, innovation and sustainability. Kömmerling is represented worldwide - in more than 60 countries - with its production and sales locations. Today for tomorrow, that is what the Kömmerling brand stands for. We develop the right solutions today for the world and generations of tomorrow. Kömmerling is part of the German Profine Group and has been active in the Netherlands since 1969. The K-VISION series has been developed especially for the Dutch market. K-VISION frames are available through official partners. These professional frame manufacturers process the frame profiles window frames and also take care of the assembly.